Apple Pecan Streusel Pie- countdown to Thanksgiving.

So guys, I went to the market this evening to pick up some what I thought I was going to find Fresh Cherries... for a cherry pie.  You may have seen I had to quickly switch gears... because my rookie heart just realized it’s November, and Cherries are in Season during the Spring/Summer.  Duh, I made it for 4th of July.  
However, I do crave cherry pie ALL THE TIME, thanks Twin Peaks... and I was so excited to try my new cherry pitter.  Oh well, we shall wait on that recipe when the time is right.

So, as I was in the market, I saw people with Turkeys and grocery carts full of toys and wrapping paper... It honestly gave me so much anxiety, I was only there for 2 things.  I thought, what the heck is going on... well... Thanksgiving is next week.  Yup.  I cannot believe it either, I know, I know.

So with that said... let’s get started on thanksgiving recipe’s.  My fave... the classics, the tried the true, and also something new.

Today’s Pie:

APPLE PECAN STREUSEL PIE

I wanted to try apple pie with a twist.  I love crunch, and I love a good crumble topping.  
I had prepped my dough last night with Smitten Kitchens all butter flaky crust recipe.  So all I need to do was slice the apples.


INGREDIENTS
Crust:
Follow yesterday’s post on a double home made pie crust








Filling:
  • 7-8 medium thinly sliced apples (I use Honey crisps, Gala & Granny)
  • 1 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt

 I was able to pack Pea’s snack also with the leftover slices of apples for school lunch tomorrow too 😊


Topping:
  • 1/2 cup old fashion oats
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar firmly packed
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans (I added a little more than that , because i love pecans





Making the Filling:
1- Thinly slice your apples, and throw them in a large bowl.  Toss them with the lemon juice.
2- Combine the dry ingredients together and then sprinkle all over the apple/lemon mixture.  
3- Set aside and let the juices soak in... about 20 min if you can.

Making the Topping:
1- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients, except the pecans and add the melted butter on the top.  
2- Stir until mixture is crumbly... I like to add more butter and make sure the mixture is truly covered in butter... this will cook the flour/sugar on top... if you don’t have enough butter, the topping turns out to be dry.  
3- Sprinkle the pecans on top and toss again.

Bake at 350 for 45-60 min until the crust is golden brown and the apples are tender.    Cover with Foil if the crust starts to turn brown. . Or I bought one of these against contraptions... works wonders.


And wa-lah.

House smells good and we shall have pie for breakfast tomorrow am.

Was also thinking that I really want to share my potpourri recipe with you guys tomorrow.  So that’s what we will do, while I share some more of my thanksgiving recipes.

What are you all doing for Thanksgiving anyway?  I’d love to hear.  Hopefully eating a lot of food and sitting in front of the TV watching amazing movies.  What will you be watching then?  I think I’d like to binge watch the Harry Potter movies.  Yes, in fact, that’s what we will do.







Comments