Cinnamon Roll Pie

Soooo, here I am again.  Something I’ve been thinking about for a long time... a MOMMY & PEA baking diary/cookbook and archive, where I could record my favorite recipes in one spot where I can reference my own self, and also share with my friends and family.  Since Pea & I bake all of the time together, I thought so wonderful for us to share this incredible bonding we have when we bake together.  If most of you know me, I have a passion for baking, cooking, eating , and feeding people.  From the looks of it, I took a long break (approx. 2 years).  But I’m back, I hope for good.  Finding time, is probably the hardest part.  But I find baking therapeutic, a way for me to forget about my stressful day, an outlet to channel some of my feelings (or eat my feelings... I get the two so confused).

Often times, I’ll use a combination of recipes.  And sometimes I make my own from my childhood, or even share some of my amazing friends recipes.  I always give credit, where credit is due.

Credit for this recipe goes to:
- Sally’s Baking addiction- I LOVE her recipes.  Always simple, easy & tasty.  What more can a gal on the go with an appetite as for?  
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/easy-cinnamon-rolls-from-scratch/

I did take the frosting from another recipe though, because... CREAM CHEESE just rules.
- Food 52- 
https://food52.com/recipes/29905-cinnamon-rolls-with-cream-cheese-frosting



*I do realize my photos are shit.  I have an old phone, but that’s also on the list of things to do with my very little spare time as a single mother.

NOVEMBER 10th- Saturday’s Recipe- CINNAMON ROLL PIE
i got this feeling today, that even though it’s 80 degrees out, California is on fire , and my heart was hurting for a great deal of reasons...I just wanted some help cheering up, and take my mind off of a million things going on at the moment.  Not to mention the smell of cinnamon and bread filling the house can never be a bad thing.  Oh, by the way, these are also great to make Christmas morning...you can prep them the night before, while you’re wrapping presents, and plop them in the oven Christmas morning.  Yup, that will be here before you know it folks. 

Here is my favorite recipe for this, and super duper easy, for all you rookies out there.   I’m so happy to be back and share all of these amazing recipes with you guys.  
Enjoy. ❤️❤️❤️

Rolls-
  • 2 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour, divided
  • 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 packet instant yeast = 2 and 1/4
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup milk 
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
Filling- 
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened to room temperature 
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Cream cheese frosting-
  • 4 oz. cream cheese (room temp)
  • 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter (room temp)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use M&B spices)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup whole milk

Directions:
1) MAKE THE DOUGH :   Set aside 1/2 cup of flour.  In a large bowl, toss the 2 1/4 cups flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed.  Set aside.



2) Heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot to the touch.  About 115F (46C).  Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture.  Add the egg and only enough of the reserved flour to make a soft dough.  I only needed 1/3 cup, but you may need the full 1/2 cup. Dough will be ready when it gently pulls away from the bowl.  


3) On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 3-4 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl (i use a non-stick spray) and let it rest for about 10 min.


4) MAKE THE FILLING: After 10 minutes, roll the dough out in a 14x8 inch rectangle.  Spread the softened butter to the top.  I used a brush to spread the butter on the dough, after I had mashed the butter at room temp in a small glass bowl.   Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it all over the dough.  Add more cinnamon/sugar if desired.  Roll up the dough tightly, cut into 11-12 even pieces and place in a lightly greased 9 inch pie dish, lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.  






(Shamelessly plugging my blog here :))


5) Loosely cover the rolls with aluminum foil  and allow to rise in a warm, draft free place for 60 min.  Here is what I do: heat the oven to 200F for about 10 min.  Turn oven off.  Place rolls inside over and allow to rise.





6) After the rolls have doubled in size, preheat the over to 375F (190C).  Bake for 25-30 min.  Until lightly browned.  I cover the rolls with foil about half way through the baking to avoid heavy browning, and also place the rolls in the middle rack.  Remove and let cool.


7) MAKE THE FROSTING: Mix all of the ingredients together in your kitchen aid mixer , or with a hand blender.  Frost the rolls as soon as they’ve cooled down.  I usually double this recipe and have some extra on the side for dipping, and or next day leftovers after placing them in the oven for a reheat.




AND WA-LA!
SO DELISH, AND PENELOPE APPROVED.  :)
ENJOY GUYS!
CAN’T WAIT TO SHARE MORE OF MY FAVE RECIPES WITH YOU.





Comments