INSTAPOT FAVE RECIPES- #1- CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

Hi Guys!!

So around Christmas of last year, my oven broke... I know THE HORROR!!!  My baking took a break, BUT... Santa was kind enough to bring me an INSTAPOT! If you guys don’t know what this is, and you are a parent reading this... or a gal/guy on the go... you NEED ONE ASAP.  It’s a pressure cooker.  It’s the opposite of a slow cooker, it’s a fast cooker.

As most of you know, I am a single full time working mother... and I love to cook.  But with my crazy schedule of dropping and picking up Pea daily...we usually don’t get home until 6:30-6:45pm.  God forbid we should have to stop at the grocery store or run an errand after work.  Dinner gets started around 7, and done by 8:30. Bath by 9, bed by 9:30 (if we are lucky)... then I’m up to wash the dishes, prep the lunch/snacks for the next day, and I’m in bed by 11. And we repeat the same thing the next day.


This INSTAPOT has shaved so much time off of our dinners.  I’ll share with you my fave recipes SO FAR that I’ve tried...still experimenting with it plenty... but these are the simple , delicious recipes that I highly recommend (and especially now that it’s winter and cold everywhere!!).

1). CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

I got this recipe from “Well Plated”.  https://www.wellplated.com/instant-pot-chicken-noodle-soup/
I made this on a Sunday morning, and while it cooked, I took the kids to the park to play in while the sun was out and it was still brisk out, but no rain.   Now, yes... we live in LA, but you guys it rained for like 5 days straight, and I LOVED IT SO MUCH.  We never get this much rain, and It reminded me of when I lived in Seattle, that’s where I learned how to cook... by staying in and having friends over for dinners.  That evening, we had Brooke & Derrick over for dinner and we all enjoyed a bowl of hot soup, and then went and soaked in the hot tub after.  It was a perfect Sunday.

So , here’s the recipe.  I also have a few tips here... chop the veggies the day before, to save time if you want.  I chopped the carrots, celery, onions on Saturday evening.

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, thighs or a mix (the bones will give the broth flavor and worth it).
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium white onion chopped
1 lb carrots chopped (or 4 large carrots chopped)
3 medium stalks celery- cut into 1/2 inches thick slices
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 cups of water (plus additional as needed)
2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles (about 3 3/4 oz)
Chopped parsley for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Carefully remove the skin from the chicken.  Use a sharp knife to chop any large pieces crosswise thru the bone if needed.  Set aside.
2) Turn on your Instapot to the sauté setting.  Add olive oil & butter.
3)Once the butter is melted, add the onion, carrots, celery.  Cook for 3-5 min.  Stirring often, until the onion softens and becomes translucent.  (Smell that, yuuuum).
4) Stir in the salt, pepper, and oregano.  Place the thyme and bay leaf on top.   Pour in the chicken broth and 3 cups of water. Gently add in the chicken pieces.
5) Close and seal the instapot.  Cook on high manually for 10 minutes.  Then immediately vent to release any remaining pressure.  Carefully open the lid.
6) Remove the chicken and transfer it to a cutting board. Pick out the thyme stems and bay leaf and discard.  Then turn the instapot to “Sauté” (you will need to press cancel first).
7). Add the noodles.  Let cook, uncovered, until noodles are al dente, about 5-6 min.
8). While the noodles cook, shred the chicken and discard the bones.  Once the noodles are done, turn off the instapot.  Store in the parsley and shredded chicken, if you’d like a more broth soup (and Pea LOVES THE BROTH...Stir in additional water until your desired consistency is reached.  Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
9). I warmed corn tortillas on the stove and put butter on them, and we dipped them in the soup.  I also steamed corn on the cobs in the instapot for about 3 min.  ADD one cup of cold water to the instapot and manually add 3 min to the pressure cooker.  When done, quick release the steam , season with butter, salt... and serve!

See, what might have taken all day in the slow cooker, took about 45 min with prep time.  Pretty incredible right?  I know.  And it taste amazing!!!

Pics below:







Comments